You can call it fickle. You can call it indecisive or you can call it what Kyle Smithpeters does: a headache.
In mid-June the NJCAA released a new start schedule for college basketball with the official practice bumped up to September 14 and regular season games beginning on October 16.
Now, with new COVID-19 plans in place another monkey wrench has been thrown into the NJCAA schedule.
A conference-only schedule will be implemented, starting January 29, 2021 and teams, like John A. Logan College will play a maximum of 22 games through March 27.
Prior to that, Smithpeters and the Vols will be permitted 60 consecutive calendar days for practice and scrimmages, starting this fall (September 15) and can play exhibition or scrimmage games, which Smithpeters says can be against Division I, Division II or NAIA schools.
The likelihood of Division 1 schools taking the same rout as the NJCAA likely isn't far away either.
"We'll utilize the non-conference and see what we can do," Smithpeters said Friday. "I think, in all honesty, this is a good thing. The first half of the year we can get our kids acclimated to academics and our workouts. This will be a good time for them to work on their bodies, get in shape and get their school work in order."
Smithpeters, who said the conference portion of the schedule is the only thing currently set, will look to play five exhibition games.
"As long as we get to play, I'm okay with everything else," the Harrisburg native said. "I just want to see these kids be able to showcase their skills that they have worked so hard on."
Spyder Dann covers prep and college sports for the Southern Illinois LOCAL Media News Group. Follow him on Twitter: @spydieshooter.
NJCAA MEN'S & WOMEN'S BASKETBALLFall Practice Season
* Permitted 60 consecutive calendar days for practice and scrimmage s within September 15 2020 - December 15, 2020
* Maximum of five (5) scrimmages dates against outside competition. Each scrimmage limited to two outside opponents.
Spring Championship Season
* Practice will be permitted to begin starting January 11, 2021
* Competition will be permitted to begin starting January 29, 2021
* Maximum of 22 games through March 27, 2021
* All region championship competition completed by April 3, 2021
* All district championship competition completed by April 10, 2021
* NJCAA Men's & Women's Basketball Championships beginning April 19, 2021